If I received a dollar for every time I heard the excuse “ I can’t do it because I don’t have it,” I would be a billionaire. This excuse is one of the top reasons people settle for a mediocre life and is often a lazy person’s cop-out for avoiding success and responsibility.
If the truth were told, yes life would be easier if everything we wanted was handed to us on a silver platter. However, that’s not always the way the cards are dealt.
My mom always taught me to use what I have, if I don’t have what I need. And although she’s not rich in wealth (yet), she’s rich in wisdom. And with that wisdom, she taught us how to be creative and make-do with what we had access to. This incalculable knowledge has followed me from my childhood to adulthood, and I too want to pass it along to you.
- Maybe you’re looking to start your business, but don’t know how to get started with your business plan; you do have access to the Internet. Start by looking up business plan templates online as a guide or go to your local small business administration office in your city to get help.
- If you don’t have the budget to purchase that red-carpet ready dress for your next event, go to a few consignment shops find a dress within your budget and accessorize it with what you already have. Or better yet, rent a dress or find a friend who is your size and borrow hers.
- If no one offers to take you out on a Saturday night, call and make reservations and treat yourself to a nice dinner and movie. Learn how to treat yourself, so when the right person comes, you won’t settle for anything less than the best.
- If you want to be promoted but don’t have the required skills, don’t hate on the person that does, but use that energy & time to go back to school to obtain those skills. (Yep, I did this too.)
- If you don’t have the money that you need to open your own business, cut out some of your expenses, save a little at a time and while saving, find someone that has a similar business and learn from them. (I’ve been there and done that.)
The fact of the matter is, I can’t give you advice on what I don’t know. I can attest to all of the examples and I could go on and on, but these are just a few thing you can do with what you have. Don’t let “not having” stop you from getting and going where you want. You can succeed with what you have. You may have to get creative or take baby steps toward your destiny but you can do it.
What’s the moral of the story? If you want something, work hard for it and don’t allow what you don’t have hinder you from becoming the best you. Follow your dreams and use what you have to get there.